Twitter just had some problems with stability which loost some Tweets for me and as I can see also others. The problem should not have been common I think since I guess it triggers on trying to post but Twitter being to slow and you try again. The trasactions is killed but some counter (I think) have increased and posted tweets is removed instead of the one that never was published. As a general defect in IT-systems of this type it is very common.
Hence a few tweets by me answering questions about reinforced learning and web stores in regard to the recent study. I recommended reading the press release Researchers predict click-through behavior in Web searches but noted that it isnt the most interresting with impact in this area. Mot interresting is instead Human Substantia Nigra Neurons Encode Unexpected Financial Rewards. Swedes can read Det oväntade stimulerar inlärning which explains the backgrund much better compared to anything in english.
That made someone to give me a question on how the results from that study affect a web store which I gave following respons to (rewritten):
- You want the buyer to learn to visit your web store hence returning instead of searching for a new stor each time.
- That is learning.
- You can reinforce the learning by giving extra value (eg. rabates).
- The study tells us that the same value to the same buyer isnt effective inregards of reinforcing learning.
- Instead the value need to be unexpected and new for the same user each time.
- You can change context: competition, rebate, quality questions, tips, gold member site.
- Also I think navigation could affect buy getting the brain to experiance the situation as new. But notice that if motivation isnt high enough this would be very dangerous since a new visual situation isnt liked by the brain which is very easy detected on the internet.
- In the same way we understand that email lists, RSS and so on is less effective for reinforcing learning. It is not by itself an unexpected win.
- If you use email lista, RSS and so on you should use reinforced learning their also hence to give an unexpected win in new context from time to time.
Similar earlier here on SEOTaktik.com I argued that one reason for Twitters popularity is that Twitter inforce (but not exactly reinforce) learning very easy compared to most on internet by affecting substantia nigra:
The typical user of Twitter is used to that a good outcome hence getting a new a follower in similar situation (eg. a blog or votes in a forum) is much harder to get. This is similar but not exactly the same. Most likely reinforced learning (new problem - new context) would be even stronger to learn a visitor to revisit the site. Still to give users a good mood through the action Twitter use no other site exists that is more effective (to my knowledge and that isnt designed to directly affect substantia nigra).